Of Counsel to Wolfson Bolton PLLC
Lara’s practice focuses on complex litigation and regulatory compliance in the areas of international trade, white collar criminal defense, antitrust, and commercial litigation in federal and state courts and before regulatory agencies.
Represents corporate clients and executives in enforcement proceedings before government agencies, including the Department of Justice, SEC, FTC, OFAC, Commerce Department, Department of State, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Department of Homeland Security.
Leads internal investigations, both domestic and international, for corporations into potential violations of civil and criminal laws and regulations, including, among others, the FCPA, OFAC regulations, Export Administration Regulations, ITAR, customs regulations, antitrust laws and cybersecurity breaches.
Serves as strategic adviser on a wide range of export, customs, sanctions, anti-bribery and other international trade issues to public and private domestic and global automotive, manufacturing, health care, technology, and financial services companies.
Assists clients in responding to government audits and investigations, addressing their day-to-day trade licensing and compliance needs and in improving their internal compliance policies and programs in wide range of regulatory areas including FCPA, anti-money laundering, anti-boycott, export and import compliance programs.
Representative trade compliance experience includes:
- Assist companies with ITAR registration and renewal
- Assist clients with classification of goods, technology and software under U.S. Munitions List and Commerce Control List
- Assist clients with preparation of applications for export licenses, commodity jurisdiction requests and commodity classification requests (CCATs)
- Prepare voluntary disclosures reports to the State Department, Commerce Department, OFAC and other government agencies
- Assist clients in classifying merchandise for tariff purposes
- Advise companies in connection with I-129 export control certifications for immigration
- Advise companies on strategies to mitigate Section 232 and Section 301 tariffs
- Prepare tariff exclusion requests
- Defend clients in challenging customs seizures and forfeiture of goods
- Advise clients on country of origin determinations for tariff and marking purposes
- Represent clients on trade matters before the U.S. International Trade Commission
- Represent foreign buyers and domestic sellers in connection with Exon-Florio reviews of foreign acquisitions of U.S. corporations by CFIUS
University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
Honors: Cum Laude
Michigan Journal of International Law, Associate Editor
Dartmouth College, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
More About Lara
- American Bar Association, 1996-present
- New York State Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan, 2004-present
- International Law Section
- International Trade Committee, Vice Chair, 2011-2013
- Board of Directors, 2012-present
Development Committee, Chair, 2014-2015
HAVEN Inaugural Gala, Co-chair, 2015
HAVEN Promenade of Hope, Co-chair, 2014
- Crittenton Hospital Cornerstone Campaign Committee (2011-2013)
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2018-2020 - Recognized in practice area of Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Recent Significant Sixth Circuit Opinions Concerning Securities and Corporate Governance Litigation (October 1, 2011) Michigan Business Law Journal, Vol. 31, Issue 3
- National Association of Counsel for Children, Pro Bono Amicus Counsel
- Advised various artists and authors on a pro bono basis through Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
- Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn LLP