Peter C. Bolton
Pete has a diverse national business law practice with an emphasis on purchasing and supply chain management, finance, and mergers and acquisitions, especially in distressed scenarios.
His significant and varied work experience in the financial, technology, and automotive industries provides him a unique perspective on counseling original equipment manufacturers, financial institutions, technology companies, automotive suppliers, private equity funds, and publicly and privately held businesses of all types with respect to their legal needs. He has extensive experience counseling debtors and creditors relating to bankruptcy and insolvency issues, including ensuring the continuity of supply from non-performing, financially distressed, or bankrupt suppliers, and purchasing assets out of receivership, bankruptcy pursuant to § 363 of the Bankruptcy Code, and through Article 9 sales. He acts as outside general counsel for many of his clients.
Clients include original equipment manufacturers, automotive suppliers, venture capital funds, financial institutions, and global manufacturers of all types.
Extensive experience representing major corporations, including financial institutions, in multi-million dollar business disputes, loan workouts and restructurings.
Represents venture capital/private equity groups and privately held businesses in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, financing matters, and restructuring of debt in financially distressed situations.
University of Detroit Mercy, School of Law, J.D.
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Law Review: Associate Editor
Michigan State University, B.A. Financial Administration
Honors: Highest Honors
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
More About Peter
- Insurance Law, Michigan Insurance Statute, A Bank May Own an Insurance Agency Provided it Employs Proper Safeguards, University of Detroit Mercy Law Review, Volume 73, Issue 1, Fall 1995
- The Best Lawyers in America (2016-2018, 2021)
- Michigan Super Lawyers (2012, 2020)
- "Asset Purchases in Distressed Situations," University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, March 7, 2011.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- President - Shrine Educational Fund
- Past Chairperson - Shrine Catholic Schools Unified School Board
NBD Bank/First Chicago Capital Markets
Commercial Lender (1990-1995)
Director - Syndications Department (1996-1997)
Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn LLP
Foley & Lardner LLP
Compliance Systems, Inc.
Lending Product Manager/Team Leader (2005-2007)
Associate Director, Global Supplier Risk Management (2007-2009)