Tom’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and general corporate and business matters.
Since joining the firm, Tom has completed over $350 million worth of transactions within a broad range of industries. He has substantial experience drafting and negotiating stock and asset purchase agreements, operating agreements and bylaws, stockholder and member agreements, employment and consulting agreements, letters of intent and term sheets, and other related documents. Tom supplements his mergers and acquisitions practice by acting as outside general counsel to portfolio and other companies on day-to-day legal matters.
Tom’s clients consist of businesses and individuals, including:
- Private equity firms;
- Strategic buyers and sellers;
- Closely-held businesses;
- Shareholders, directors, officers, and investors;
- Original equipment manufacturers; and
- Tier one and sub-tier suppliers.
In addition to his transactional practice, Tom has experience counseling debtors and creditors in distressed scenarios, including with bankruptcy and insolvency issues.
Tom is a Detroit enthusiast, having lived in the city since 2015. On a summer day, you can catch Tom biking around the city, swimming at Belle Isle, or grabbing dinner.
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D.
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Law Review: Managing Editor
- Dean Charles H. King Scholars Program
- Dean's List
- Michigan State University, B.A.
- Honors: with High Honors
- Dean's List
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- 2021 Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly - Up & Coming Lawyer, 2019
- Jurisprudence Achievement Award in Research, Writing, and Advocacy
- Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2017-2021)
- “Can Michigan Creditors Find the Green? The Impact of Janvey v Golf Channel on Fraudulent Transfers in Ponzi Schemes,” Michigan Business Law Journal, Spring 2018
- “Setoff: Preference Defense 2.0,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, February 2018
- "Testing the Waters of the Safe Harbor," American Bar Association – Business Law Today, January 2017
- "MF Global Court Declines D&O Insurance Nanny Role," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, May 2015
- "A Method of Protecting Pensions in Chapter 9: Defining the Interest as a Property Right," American Bankruptcy Law Journal, Volume 89, Issue 1, 2015
- "The Moral of Emoral: Expanding Trustee Standing," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, February 2015
- State Bar of Michigan
- Turnaround Management Association
- Association for Corporate Growth
- American Bankruptcy Institute