Thomas J. Kelly
Tom’s practice focuses on commercial and bankruptcy litigation, commercial bankruptcy and reorganization, original equipment manufacturer and supplier matters, loan workouts and transactional matters, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate and business matters.
He has extensive experience analyzing complex legal issues and crafting creative legal arguments relating to commercial and bankruptcy disputes and transactions in state, federal, and out-of-court matters.
He has represented financially-distressed companies, unsecured creditors’ committees, creditors, debtors, and trustees, original equipment manufacturers, tier one and sub-tier suppliers, closely-held businesses, shareholders, directors and officers, private equity firms, stock and asset purchasers and sellers, and banks and financial institutions.
Michigan State University College of Law, J.D.
Honors: Magna Cum Laude
Law Review: Managing Editor
Dean Charles H. King Scholars Program
Michigan State University, B.A.
Honors: with High Honors
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
More About Thomas
- Jurisprudence Achievement Award in Research, Writing, and Advocacy
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2017)
- “Can Michigan Creditors Find the Green? The Impact of Janvey v Golf Channel on Fraudulent Transfers in Ponzi Schemes,” Michigan Business Law Journal, Spring 2018
- “Setoff: Preference Defense 2.0,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, February 2018
- "Testing the Waters of the Safe Harbor," American Bar Association – Business Law Today, January 2017
- "MF Global Court Declines D&O Insurance Nanny Role," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, May 2015
- "A Method of Protecting Pensions in Chapter 9: Defining the Interest as a Property Right," American Bankruptcy Law Journal, Volume 89, Issue 1, 2015
- "The Moral of Emoral: Expanding Trustee Standing," American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, February 2015
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan
- Detroit Economic Club
- Pro Bono Attorney Volunteer, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Michigan