Thomas J. "Jake" Howlett represents business clients involved in complex commercial litigation and real estate matters. He leverages his experience as an attorney and former executive with a major real estate development company to analyze disputes and transactions from both a business and a legal perspective, helping him resolve issues with maximum efficiency and with minimal disruption to his clients' operations.
Jake serves as real estate counsel in a variety of transactions and development projects involving significant commercial, industrial, and multi-tenant residential properties located throughout the United States, including land use and development matters, sales, and leasing transactions. His litigation experience includes representing clients ranging from individuals to mid-size businesses and major organizations in commercial matters with a focus on real estate disputes.
Jake previously served as president of Crown Enterprises, LLC, a major national real estate development company with a diverse portfolio of properties and has represented multiple municipalities and developers.
In addition to directing Crown's business strategy and day to day operations, he personally managed significant legal issues, from major real estate transactions to complex litigation.
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, J.D.
- Internship with United States Senator Carl Levin in Washington, DC on the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
- Duke University, B.A.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- The Best Lawyers in America 2022-2023, Real Estate Law
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2021, Municipal Law
- State Bar of Michigan
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, Government Law, Real Property Law, and Litigation Sections
- Macomb County Bar Association
- Macomb County Chamber of Commerce
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Grosse Pointe Foundation for Public Education, Member, Board of Directors
- Grosse Pointe Park Little League
- Former City Attorney, Grosse Pointe Park, Macomb Township and Center Line
Prior Employment Experience
- Bodman PLC (Partner)
- Crown Enterprises, LLC (President)
- Viviano, Pagano and Howlett PLLC (Partner)